We are who we are, from day one. It’s the most important promise we make.
For most healthcare investors, data and analytics represent the new. For the team at Empactful, it’s our core expertise honed over years in two of the leading healthcare analytic firms, MedeAnalytics and Verisk Health. As investors, entrepreneurs and executives in Mede, Verisk and predecessor companies, Empactful’s Managing Directors played critical roles in the growth of healthcare analytics across Payer, Provider and Employer markets. Arnold Silverman also invested in businesses that established and led the enterprise data management and analytics sectors – Oracle, Business Objects and Informatica.
Chairman & Managing Director
Arnold Silverman has over 40 years of CEO, Board and venture capital experience with both public and private companies. He has built many of the leading enterprise software and analytics companies in the industry. Dedicating his career to building transformative companies, Arnold carries a passion for mentoring entrepreneurs who themselves carry a passion.
Arnold was a founding investor & board member at Oracle, Informatica, Business Objects, Delphix, Kiva Software (acq. by Netscape), Epiphany, Inc. (acq. by Infor Corp./SSA Global) and TimesTen Software (acq. by Oracle) to name a few. He founded Discovery Ventures in order to focus on and invest in early stage businesses with great potential. Prior to Discovery Ventures, he served as the Chief Executive Officer of ICOT Corporation, engineering a turn-around that translated to leadership positions in the airline reservation systems and fraud detection markets, spearheading the acquisition of Amati Communications and ultimately its sale to Texas Instruments. Mr. Silverman also served as President of Dymo Industries, a New York Stock Exchange company. Earlier in his career, he held various engineering roles at Hewlett Packard.
He serves as a Trustee of the University of California (UC) Berkeley Foundation and Chairman of the Finance Committee. Mr. Silverman holds B.S. and M.S. degrees from UC Berkeley and an MBA from Columbia University. Arnold also teaches a class on entrepreneurship and venture capital at UC Berkeley’s business school each year to help inspire the next generation of leaders.
Sal DeTrane co-founded Empactful Capital with a penchant for strategy, growth planning and operational execution. He has over 20 years of experience in business development, organizational development, operations and finance roles,
Sal has a passion for working with entrepreneurs that stems from starting multiple ventures and gaining over 12 years of direct P&L and operational experience at MedeAnalytics – the nation’s largest privately held health care analytics business. As its #2 executive, Sal played a keystone role in driving Mede’s revenue growth in both the hospital and payer markets. This market/product strategy led to Mede’s growth from $3 million to over $120 million in revenues. Thoma Bravo acquired Mede as it prepared for its IPO in 2015.
Sal founded Nucleus Partners (a venture capital firm) in 2001 and lead its investment in Mede prior to joining the company. Prior to Nucleus, Sal co-managed nearly $50 million of committed capital at The Angels’ Forum after successfully building a technology investment banking practice in Silicon Valley.
Bolstered by a history of developing and managing relationships across the healthcare ecosystem, Sal sits on the boards of several early/growth stage healthcare IT companies. An unapologetically proud Temple Owl, Sal serves on the Dean’s Advisory Council for the Fox School of Business and holds the honor of having spoken to his experiences and his views of entrepreneurship at the Fox School of Business. His hobbies include winemaking.
David Jackson is an entrepreneur and senior executive with business development, marketing, product management, business formation and strategy experience. David has over 20 years of experience building high-growth businesses, the last 13 years focused on healthcare technology and analytics. David is comfortable with big companies that want to act like start-ups and start-ups that want to become big companies. He especially likes to help companies grow but remain nimble by developing and marketing great solutions.
Prior to Empactful Capital, David was an Operating Partner with Fitzroy Health, an investment firm that partners with leading healthcare institutions to spin out and operate digital health companies.
Before that David was the Chief Marketing Officer and SVP of Product for Verisk Health, now Verscend one of the largest pure play analytics businesses in healthcare. During his tenure at Verisk, the company grew five-fold and became a market leader in risk adjustment, payment integrity, quality and population health serving payers, providers and employers. In 2016, Verisk Health was sold to Veritas Capital.
Prior to that, David was an executive at Bloodhound Technologies, a startup acquired by Verisk Analytics, where he oversaw business development and marketing. In addition to his work at Empactful, David is a board member and advisor to several growth stage healthcare and analytic companies including Secure Exchange Solutions and Forward Health Group.
- 2001 Sal and Arnold part of founding team at Nucleus Partners, a seed and early stage venture capital firm
- 2003 – 2004 MedeAnalytics: While at Nucleus, Sal and Arnold developed Mede’s growth plan & made initial investments
- 2004 – 2016 C-Level Roles: Team successfully executed various CEO and Board level roles in several high growth businesses including MedeAnalytics, Verisk Health and many other leading digital health / healthcare services businesses
- 2015 MedeAnalytics Exit: Sold to Thoma Bravo at 100x and 60x MOIC returns – 2 initial investments
- 2016 Q2 Empactful Capital is founded by Sal and Arnold: After successful company exits, developed the business plan to launch the firm
- 2016 Q2 After Verisk Health’s revenues grew from $60M to $300M+ during David’s tenure, the business was sold to Veritas Capital for $820M
- 2016 Q3 Fund I Established to make initial investments prior to raising institutional fund / demonstrate firm’s model after developing opportunities via “working relationship” model and approach
- 2016 Q4 1st Investment – Innovatel Telepsychiatry
- 2017 Q1 2nd Investment – Owl Insights
- 2017 Q4 3rd Investment – The Amava Project
- 2017 Q4 David Jackson joins Empactful Capital
- 2018 1H Built the operating partner / advisor team to further differentiate the firm’s operational depth and healthcare relationship ecosystem to support its portfolio companies
- 2018 Q2 Begin Fund II raise for investments via “working relationship” model and approach